Former Foundation Trustees
- Donald A. Strauss’ best friend and Best Man
- Attended high school, college (Stanford) and the Navy with Don Strauss
- Editor, Pomona Progress Bulletin
- Public Relations, Claremont Graduate School
- Author of several books on Southern California institutions: Webb School, Allergan, Beckman Instruments, Pilgrim Place, Hillcrest Homes.
- Accomplished sailor and jazz guitar player
Founding Trustee, whose historical perspective and insights assured that Don’s true vision would be represented in the Scholarship marketplace.
Frank Newman, PhD (1997-2004)
- Visiting Prof Public Policy and Sociology, Brown University
- Director – Futures Project: Policy for Higher Education in a Changing World
- Former President, Education Commission of the States
- Former President, University of Rhode Island
- Graduate of Brown and Stanford
- Worked with Donald A. Strauss at Beckman Instruments
- Played tennis, bridge and sailed with Don and Dorothy Strauss
Founding Chair, whose leadership, wisdom, humor and unmatched experience as a force in higher education for 30 years contributed immeasurably to the growth and early success of the Strauss Foundation.
Jack Hart (1998-2004)
- Former Vice President of Human Resources for Beckman Instruments
- Worked for Donald A. Strauss 30+ years
- Graduate of Claremont McKenna College
A knowledgeable Trustee, who contributed valuable input and sound advice.
Thomas Henderson, LLB (1997-2008)
- Graduate of Pomona College and UCLA Law School
- Attorney for the Strauss family
- Played the oboe and golf
- Long time member of the Toastmasters
- Served with Don as member of the Personnel Commission of Newport Mesa Unified School District
Founding Trustee, instrumental in assisting Dorothy set-up the Foundation--helping her achieve her vision and navigate the tricky legal terrain involved--and, throughout his tenure, served as a sage advisor.
Martha Newkirk, Ph.D. (1997-2009)
- President - Newkirk Enterprises
- UCI Foundation Executive Committee
- Founder of the UCI Newkirk Center for Science and Society
- Colleague of Dorothy on the UCI Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Chocolate lover, skier and art collector
Selected by Dorothy as one of the original Trustees, Martha served for nearly a dozen years, quietly yet powerfully contributing to the growth, success and prominence of the Foundation.
- B.S. from University of Missouri, 1946
- Free-lance writer, Saturday Evening Post, Harper's, Reader's Digest and other national magazines
- Staff writer National Observer and Christian Science Monitor
- Columnist, Los Angeles Times and (currently) Daily Pilot
- Retired lecturer in non-fiction writing, U C Irvine English Department, 21 years
- Shared political views, child rearing, tennis and war stories with Don and Dorothy for 40 years.
One of Don Strauss' closest friends, he contributed to the Foundation in myriad ways, including his keen insights, wry humor and eloquent writing.